Saturday 2 January 2016

On the eighth day of Christmas - if we were having coffee together








If we were having coffee or tea together today, I would remind you that this is the eighth day of Christmas and that the song goes this way:

On the eighth day of Christmas,
my true love gave me
Eight Maids a-milking
and
Seven Swans a-swimming
and
Six Geese a-laying
and
Five Gold Rings
and
Four Calling Birds
and
Three French Hens
and
Two Turtle Doves
and
A Partridge in a Pear Tree



And I would tell you that according to the tradition, the Eight Maids represent the eight Beatitudes told by Christ in the Sermon on the Mount: 
  • Blessed are the poor in spirit,
  • Blessed are those who mourn,
  • Blessed the meek,
  • Blessed those who hunger and thirst for righteouness
  • Blessed are the merciful
  • Blessed are the pure in heart
  • Blessed are the peacemakers
  • Blessed those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake
(Matthew 5:3-10)


If we were having coffee or tea together, I would be happy to meet you, readers of "old", and I would be impressed and slightly shy to meet you, possible newcomers. But you would be all welcome in my house in France - in the South-West of France, in the Dordogne, in between the capital town of the Dordogne département, Périgueux, and the city of Bordeaux. You would meet my two wards, my younger sister (20) and my cousin (56). They both suffer from Down Syndrome but they are most happy to live, and to live with me. They are known as "The Girls" and we, all three, make "The Little Family".

The house is rather big, in the midst of expansive grounds. The countryside is rather desolate since it is winter and grey. We are having a damp winter with fog and mist - sometimes a little rain, only showers. Today is greyer than the other days. And as it is five o'clock pm, night will fall soon. Then we shall close the shutters and draw the curtains and feel snug. This is the time of the day I like most, and I would like to share it.

I would tell you that I do not like the festivities of the end of the year and New Year's Day that much, and that I am glad they are over. I like Epiphany and I shall give you some of the traditional cake next week if you care to come back. It is too soon yet. But I have some rich fruit cake, or a Christmas tea loaf with almonds, dried apricots and raisins, if you prefer.

When comfortable, I would ask you about what you read. I love reading. Part of my blog is pure rambling, part is about what happens in The Village and to The Litte Family, or the regional traditions, or travelogues, part is rambling about books, music, paintings and movies. 

Books have always been my great love and my great occupation - with writing. I like big fat volumes in French or in English preferably, but I can manage in other languages. I enjoy Dickens at Christmas or a ny big chunk of a Victorian novel. I have re-read "Little Women" this year as well as "Martin Chutzzlewit" and memoirs of the Edwardian period. I shall start "Bring Up the Bodies" soon - after a "roaring twenties" whodunnit. You see that reading takes much of my time.
I would tell you as well one of the greatest news that could happen to me: the help of a cleaning lady three hours a week to do the shopping and to give me a hand to clean the house. This will be a relief as I am not always well enoughto drive to The Supermarket and our diet may be thin sometimes. And what a pleasure not to fight untidiness and "dirt" by myself!

By that time, you would have enough of my talk and ask for a halt. I would apologize for being too talkative and let you go with regrets, hoping that you would come back. Next Saturday for another cup of coffee or tea and another batch of news? I would be glad to welcome you again. But, please, do drop by if you want during the week: there is always the possibility of something to drink and nibble, and I would love to hear from you.

Meanwhile, I wish that


On the eighth day of Christmas,
YOUR true love gives YOU
Eight Maids a-milking
and
Seven Swans a-swimming
and
Six Geese a-laying
and
Five Gold Rings
and
Four Calling Birds
and
Three French Hens
and
Two Turtle Doves
and
A Partridge in a Pear Tree






No comments:

Post a Comment